Future Earth is a global network of scientists, researchers, and innovators collaborating for a more sustainable planet. Our mission is to advance research in support of transformations to global sustainability. Our vision is of a sustainable and equitable world for all, where societal decisions are informed by openly-accessible and shared knowledge.
Future Earth exists to support collaboration between researchers and stakeholders from all different regions, backgrounds, and sectors who are working to generate actionable, solutions-oriented knowledge to help transform toward societies that provide good and fair lives for all within a stable and resilient Earth system.
Future Earth’s global community is composed of diverse Global Research Networks, Regional Partners, and National and Local Networks spread across regions, continents, and time zones, coordinated by Secretariat-led Hubs.
Established in 2009, the Belmont Forum is a partnership of funding organizations, international science councils, and regional consortia committed to the advancement of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary science. Forum operations are guided by the Belmont Challenge, a vision document that encourages International transdisciplinary research providing knowledge for understanding, mitigating and adapting to global environmental change.
Forum members and partner organizations work collaboratively to meet this Challenge by issuing international calls for proposals, committing to best practices for open data access, and providing transdisciplinary training.
Additional details can be found on the Belmont Forum website, and
The Sustainability Research and Innovation Congress is supported by a number of teams and committees consisting of staff from Future Earth, the Belmont Forum, and the host organizations, all working together to implement SRI.
The National Secretariat of Science, Technology and Innovation of the Republic of Panama is an autonomous institution, which was created by Law 13 of April 15, 1997, subsequently modified by Law 50 of December 21, 2005 and by Law 55 of December 14, 2007, which granted autonomy to the institution in its administrative tasks. The Secretariat works directed by the guidelines established in the National Strategic Plan for Science, Technology, and Innovation (PENCYT as in Spanish) 2020-2024.
All of SENACYT’s (as in Spanish) activities, projects and programs are aimed at strengthening, supporting, inducing and promoting the development of science, technology and innovation in order to raise the level of productivity, competitiveness and modernization in the private sector, the government, the academic-research sector and the population in general.
The Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI), an intergovernmental organization with 19 Parties in the Americas, promotes transdisciplinary research and the enhancement of capacities to improve public awareness and provide information to governments for the development of public policy relevant to global environmental change, based on scientific excellence, international and intersectoral cooperation, and the open exchange of knowledge. As part of its strategic plan 2019–2044 (Strategic Plan: http://www.iai.int/pdf/
- Dr. Erica Key, US Global Hub Director, Future Earth
- Dr. Nicole Arbour, Executive Director, The Belmont Forum
- Ms. Anabella Vásquez Fábrega, Director of International Cooperation, National Secretariat of Science, Technology, and Innovation of Panama (SENACYT)
- Dr. Marcos Regis da Silva, Executive Director, Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI),
- Dr. Veera Mitzner, Associate Director, Future Earth US Global Hub
Local Organizing Committee
- Dr. Anna Stewart, Scientific Director, Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
- Mr. Reynaldo Lee Varela, International Relations Analyst, National Secretariat of Science, Technology, and Innovation of Panama (SENACYT)
- Ms. Kim Portmess, Program Consultant, Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
- Prof. Omar Lopez
- Andrea De Jesus
Operations and Communications Team
- Veera Mitzner, Associate Director, Future Earth US Global Hub
- Laurel Milliken, Director of Operations, Future Earth US
- Bridget Blake, Communications Lead, Future Earth
- Kyoko Shiota MacAulay, Network Manager, Future Earth
- Stephan Useche, Event Tech Manager, Future Earth
- Judit Ungvari, Co-lead, Research & Innovation, Future Earth
- Maria Fernanda Enriquez, Administrative Officer, Latin America Lead, Future Earth